If you intend to live and stay in Australia on a student visa, it is a condition of this visa that you purchase an appropriate overseas student health cover (OSHC) that would cover your medical expenses during your stay. Empyrean offers students assistance for the application of OSHC.

International students are required to have overseas student health cover (OSHC) for the full duration of their student visa. Students who choose for Empyrean to organize their health cover, will have their payments processed for Bupa as the preferred provider. The cost of health insurance can be advised when students complete an application form and also from the Bupa website.

Exceptions: You do not need OSHC if you are:

  • a Norwegian student covered by the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme
  • a Swedish student covered by the National Board of Student Aid or by Kammarkollegiet
  • a Belgian student covered under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement with Australia.

If you are studying at more than one educational provider and both are arranging OSHC, you will have to ensure that there is no gap between policies. This means that as one policy expires the next commences immediately.

OSHC is available for a period of up to five years. If your course exceeds five years in length, then OSHC providers may issue cover for a longer period.

If you have a child born after your arrival in Australia, and you only have a single OSHC policy you must change that to a family policy. If family members join you after your arrival in Australia they will have to demonstrate that they have an OSHC policy for the duration of their visas.

Proof of insurance: When you lodge your application, you must provide a receipt or other proof of your OSHC payment. The OSHC should commence when you arrive in Australia.

Related and useful links: